Sunday, July 5, 2009

Christmas in July



Last year, RCC and I joined the Christmas Caravan for Kids as a part of the Colorado 4x4 organization. Christmas Caravan collects toys for the Marine's Toys for Tots program (www.toysfortots.org) and we had a great time with our small donation of toys (I think we spent $10 each on our toys). At last year's Caravan we saw cars full of toys and watched the Marines' duece and a half vehicles fill up. When we got married, we decided that we'd start building our Toys for Tots stash. Our dream is to take a large bounty of toys to the Caravan this year. So, each payday we each take $10 out of our personal accounts and go shopping. Today was shopping day and we found some great deals! I thought that we'd found good deals last payday at Target, but today at ToysRUs, I managed to buy for four kids on my ten bucks! I found a couple of jewelry making kits for $2.00 each and a couple of MagneXT kits. I slid in just under my ten dollars.  RCC bought a larger MagneXT kit and a Speed Racer car for his ten bucks (he came in sixteen cents under). With $20, between the two of us, we managed to buy Christmas presents for six kids!
I can't tell you how good it feels to get started on this. Especially after years of wondering how on earth I was going to buy Christmas presents for my own kids. Because it feels so good, I've told the kids that once they have jobs, they will join us in building our Toys for Tots stash, but they only have to contribute $5.00 of their paychecks to the cause. I'm sure they'll have as good a time with is as we are; they love to buy for other people as much as I do.

No comments: