Saturday, January 12, 2013

First Apartment

Do you remember your first apartment?

What do you remember about it?

Ashinator and Monster got their first "very own" apartment this week and I went over to visit.  They literally only have their beds.  No dishes, nothing to cook with.  Pretty much their clothes, toiletries, and their beds.  Micky has a TV and some game system that they can play DVDs on.  But that's all.

So it started me thinking...I don't think I had much more when I moved out of Mom's house.  My waterbed and clothes, I think.

If I recall correctly, we scrounged up a TV from somewhere, but we only had two channels, so we watched a lot of SOAP and ARE YOU BEING SERVED? because that's all we had.

I do remember killing the cactus Mom brought as a house-warming gift.  I put it on top of the TV and was diligent about watering it, but apparently, that's a good way to steam a cactus to death.  Who knew?

We had an office chair of sorts, and I know we had a couch, but I'll be damned if I know where it came from.  I think it was our roommate's.

Slowly, over the years, we obviously accumulated what we needed to furnish the apartment, and I don't recall wanting for anything.  But when you're 18 and out on your own for the first time, the sense of freedom overrides minor inconveniences like not having furniture or dishes or even a trash can.

Wonder what the kids are going to remember about their first apartment in twenty years?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

It's funny how we ultimately accumulate all those things we later think we can't live without :) She'll be wondering how on earth she managed to collect so much by the time she is ready to move again!

Momma Fargo said...

I had clothes and bedding. I had to rent a furnished apartment. LOL