Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Make That Four

Fires, that is.

The Royal Gorge Fire forced the evacuation of prisoners from the Colorado Territorial Correctional Facility; the prisoners were moved to other prisons. (I was wondering what they'd do with them - it takes a long time to plan and move prisoners.)  The suspension bridge is rumored to have been spared, though three structures have been lost to the fire.

The Black Forest Fire, near Colorado Springs has destroyed a multitude of homes and forces thousands to evacuate. 

The Big Meadow Fire is the one closest to us, and was started by lightning on Monday.  Usually, naturally-caused fires in remote areas are allowed to burn, but they're doing what they can to knock it down.

The Klikus Fire is the smallest of the four at 50 acres, but it also has forced several evacuations.

I have lots of friends, real-life and blog, who live in those areas and pray that they are safe.

If you feel moved to help the firefighters and people who have been displaced from there home, visit Help Colorado Now to make a donation.  I try not to solicit donations too often on the blog, but after three years of fires, I'm beginning to feel helpless.  Even the cost of one coffee will help.  Thanks.

Update: Once Upon An Equine was evacuated from her home about six hours ago :(

3 comments:

Momma Fargo said...

Oh poo. I absolutely hate all the fires and it is painful to see homes and our national forests go up in flames. Ugh. Be safe. I will send rain. It is raining buckets. I think my sewer bill is getting affected by all this water. :)

Unknown said...

I'm still in shock. I can't hardly believe that we have so many bad fires this early in the season. My parents called from the Springs yesterday, and my mom's first question was, "Have any fires started at home yet?" So sad that that has become our first thought as a state.

Anonymous said...

You're not the only one of my bloggy friends to be blogging about fires recently. I'll say a prayer for those affected by this.