Thursday, August 8, 2019

GISH #74

"Hey Assbut" was one of the tasks I was really looking forward to, as was this one:


I have long been an advocate of tourniquets, and my passion project in 2018 was to train everyone I could in tourniquet use. I trained staff and students on campus in 2018 and 2019 - not as many as I would have liked - and I trained Posse members. I personally know someone, one of my Posse mates, whose life was saved by the proper application of a tourniquet.

Again, it's like this task was custom made for me. I didn't have the first idea of how to make a stop-motion video, but I happen to be married to a very artistic and smart man who does.

After we filmed the "Hey Assbutt" video, he helped me with this. I did purchase two new dolls for this, though GISH is all about borrowing and re-purposing*. However, I did handcraft the doll-sized tourniquet out of electrical tape, paperclips, and a bamboo skewer. The tourniquet I made ended up being a cross between a CAT and a SOFT-T wide. Unless someone has been trained in tourniquet use, or carries one, no one will realize that my doll tourniquet is a hybrid (well, until I just blabbed about it on the interwebs).

The making of the video was fun, and I'm pleased with how it turned out. If I could change one thing about it, I would have made sure it's more clear in the video that the tourniquet needs to be pulled tight before twisting the windlass, but I'm still happy with how it turned out.

When I saw this challenge come up on the list, I immediately thought tourniquet. It was announced a few days into GISH that our mystery charity was for an organization that would be sending technicians out to Laos to fit children who have lost limbs to bombs with prostheses. Tourniquet training and use in areas such as that can save lives (they can and do save lives here as well), so I found my choice of topic to be timely and appropriate.

Here's the link to the video: https://youtu.be/0_-PcCu-UbE

*The not-bloody doll was salvaged and re-purposed for my last GISH task.

No comments: