Sunday, September 13, 2009

What the French, Toast?

I don't know what overcame me this weekend.  I spent, sadly, the majority of the day sitting in my bed yesterday working on my blogs and having a grand ole time.  A friend of mine, Lisa, who I met as a wrangler, sent me a link to a writing contest.  Hell, why not?  Except that the theme is "Invisible Writing", wow.  I write, but do I want it to be invisible?  I spent the afternoon thinking about how I would write the essay for that contest.  I'm still mulling it over - I've been an Invisible Writer for a long time.  My whole life I've been a writer, sometimes my writing brain causes me problems.  I can't just see a trash bag alongside the road - nnnooooooo - in my brain there's always a dead body or body part in it.  I often see things that aren't really there.  Example, when Jay and I were in Moab there was a tall dead something-or-other on the side of the trail.  When I saw it, I would have sworn that it was a small Bobcat (the farm equipment, not the animal).  It wasn't until we were practically on top of it and the angle changed that I realized it was a dead tree of some sort.

But I digress, I have been an Invisible Writer.  Do I want to be?  Hell, no!  I think that revelation lead, in part, to today's events.  I hopped on Blogger just like I do every morning and what's sitting there but a an announcement about a writing contest.  Why not?  I read the requirements, set up a new blog for Lyon's Roar (http://gundiva-lyonsroar.blogspot.com/), dusted off a piece I haven't handled in a long time, and submitted it.  When I was done with that, another post came up with another writing contest, this time a non-fiction animal essay.  Again, why not?  I've already got my Tales from the Trail (http://gundiva-talesfromthetrail.blogspot.com/) up and running.  Why not submit one of those posts?

I won't ever be a Visible Writer if I don't put my work out there for people other than my friends and family to see.  I've got to tell you, it's terrifying.  And exhilarating.

4 comments:

Allenspark Lodge said...

Damn, didn't you have some sort of Michael Jackson story going 30+ years ago?
Bill

GunDiva said...

Only 900 pages of handwritten material - and it wasn't about Michael Jackson, it was about his brother, Randy. That story should have stayed invisible, thanks Bill. Also, it wasn't quite 30 years ago, I was in junior high.

Anonymous said...

Lol at the Michael Jackson comment.

y'know, I think its cool that you are getting your writing out there. I can definitely relate. Idk why, but I feel as if I have something to give to the world, and I always feel the need to get my story out there somehow. I am working on a memoir... but let's be honest, only famous people write memoirs lol.

GunDiva said...

N - if you're writing your memoirs, maybe you're destined to be famous! And it was Randy Jackson, the quiet, introspective, keyboard playing, Chopin listening brother I had a thing for (Bill!).