Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Now THAT'S Cold!

While I'm off enjoying the warmer weather in Las Vegas (mid-60s all week), I thought I'd share with you a picture from our last cold snap.  It was below zero for a couple of days (felt like a month) and we got snow.

The front U-joints are going out on RockCrawlinChef's Jeep, so I was driving her back and forth to work, while he was driving Ripley (his commute is much longer than mine).  The Lil Blue Box (Jeep) is missing her back window.  The zipper broke and so there's no way to keep the window in place.  It's not really a huge deal as long as the heater's going full blast.

Add in the snow and you get a snow-globe on wheels.  The snow would blow off Lil Blue's roof and into the back window, swirling around with the heater fan.  I can honestly say it was the first time I've ever been snowed on inside a moving vehicle.

It warmed up to about 2* above zero that day and the sun was shining brightly.  It shone bright enough that the snow started to melt despite the below freezing temperatures, causing icicles to form.

The snow that had been previously on Lil Blue's head melted and ran down her side, eventually freezing.  When my boss left work that afternoon, she called me to tell me that my vehicle was frozen to the ground.  Huh?  I knew it was cold, but was it really cold enough to freeze a Jeep to the ground?


Apparently it was.  You can't see it well in the picture, but the icicle's about two inches in diameter and frozen solid to the puddle on the ground.

Ah, well, the good news is that it being Colorado, it was much warmer the next day - we made it to 20* F.

5 comments:

Mrs. Mom said...

LOL Next time, brush all the snow off the top of the Jeep first ;)

xoxo



WV; togilgun-- you gonna find one of them at the SHOT Show??

Aunt Crazy said...

I am so glad I live in Texas...hahahaha

Terry Odell said...

And yesterday it got up to 50 here in the Colorado mountains.

Terry
Terry's Place
Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

Rachel said...

ACK! I'm shivering thinking about it - though I'm liking the idea of being inside a snowglobe!

Glad you got a pic, we never woulda believed you :)

Thanks for linking up - wishing you sturdy U-Joints and short icicles!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that could happen. Also, glad we live in Texas.