Thursday, February 8, 2018

What Are We? The Addams Family?

I've shared with you Grandpa Ed's legs. Lots of people I know love the story behind his legs, but are really, really glad that they live at my house. I get it, if the roles were reversed, I'd be right there with you.

The other night, Jay and I had dinner with Mom and Bill at Grandma's house. As you can imagine, there is a lot of cleaning and sorting of stuff going on. A lot of it. (Side note: it was a lot easier to clean out Grandma Mary's house, because it was mostly junk. We took the items that had sentimental value, but she didn't own anything of value other than the house itself.)

One of the things Mom and Bill ran across were Grandma's dentures with the "cutters". Now, I know Grandma used to talk about her dentures with the "cutters", and she complained a time or two about not being able to chew as well without them, but I actually had zero idea what she was talking about.

We all just kind of humored her about her magic, cutting dentures. And then Mom and Bill found these ...

Yes, those are wire "cutters" on her molars.
Normally, I'd be completely disgusted about finding decades-old dentures tucked away in a cupboard somewhere, but I'm equal parts fascinated and disgusted by these. My first thought when Mom showed them to me was, "Grandma could eat the hell out of some steak with those!", followed quickly by "I would hate to bite my tongue!".

During our initial walk-through of the house, I claimed a couple of things: the yellow step-stool, the fridge (don't judge, it's the coolest fridge ever, and it's going to stay with the house for now), and this pair of pictures (?). I'm not sure exactly what they are, but ever since I was a little kid, I've loved these things.


They are made of pieces of bark and moss, so I don't know what to call them. Are they fiber art? Are they decoupage?

When going through Grandma's photo albums, we saw that this set started as a set of four. Two remain. The best we can figure is that they're 60 years old. The one big lie Mom ever told was about these picture-things, but that's her story, so you'll have to ask her about it.

Like Ed's legs, Jay was not thrilled with having these in the house. Lucky for him, I never intended them to go up in our house, they're in my office at work. I haven't hung them up yet (obviously), but they go well with my trail riding pictures.

Lord only knows what other treasures we'll unearth as we continue to clean out her house.

1 comment:

Momma Fargo said...

I love these stories. They are so awesome!I love the fact that the memories you share with us are tied in with the goodies.