Sunday, April 15, 2012

SAVING SCOTT by Terry Odell

This morning, I finally made far enough down my TBR pile to read Terry Odell's SAVING SCOTT.  I've had it in my TBR for a while and after reading it, wondered how on earth it could have gotten so buried in the rest of my reading.  I "met" Terry through her blog and then got to meet her and her husband in person at the Writers' Police Academy a couple of years ago.


So, sorry Terry it's taken me so long to get to your book(s).  SAVING SCOTT was amazing and I devoured it in one sitting.

But...today's post isn't really about the book, but about something I found in the book. Terry's main character, Ashley, is fixing to open a bakery so she bakes throughout the entire book.  In one scene she's making a chocolate cookie with cayenne pepper in it.  Yep, cayenne pepper.  In a chocolate cookie.  Sounded intriguing.

Even cooler, when I reached the end of the book, Terry had included the recipe for the amazing-sounding Spicy Aztec Chocolate Drops.  Yes, she did.

And I had to make them.  Well, me and Nebalee with some help from Kyzzer and Asset.
Butter and sugar

The dry ingredients, including cayenne

Starting to come together

Asset rolling the cookies in sugar

Kyzzer did about three cookies to Asset's one

Finished!
The cookies were even more amazing than I thought they would be.  I can't even adequately explain the deliciousness that is this cookie.  Moist chocolate drops with just a touch of heat in the back of your throat to finish.  Especially perfect with a tall glass of cold milk.  I'm fairly certain I ate most of a dozen.

Definitely worth a try.  Click on over to Terry's Place to get the recipe.  And while you're at it, click on the link for the book and buy that, too.  There are a whole lot more recipes at the end of the book that I might or might not try.  And the story's pretty darn good, too.

5 comments:

Allenspark Lodge said...

Oh, please PLEASE tell me you saved me one...

Bill

Leiah said...

You said 'fixing to'. I may have just teared up a little. The SGG would be so proud.

Now send me the cookies that Bill doesn't eat!

Terry Odell said...

Glad you enjoyed the cookies and the book. Saving Scott will be available for all book formats by the end of the week, I hope. Until then, it's a B&N Nook exclusive. (But readers can catch up on the first two books, FINDING SARAH and HIDDEN FIRE, which are available at all the e-tailers.)

Will I see you at the Writers Police Academy this year? Hubster and I are going.

Terry
Terry's Place
Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

Unknown said...

I love spicy and sweet. My favorite appetizer is bacon wrapped chicken dipped in brown sugar and chili powder. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! I love finding recipes in odd places like that! Which reminds me, I've been wanting to try Quentin Tarantino's pulled pork recipe on the Kill Bill dvd.