Tuesday, February 15, 2011

TST: More from Nebalee

Nebalee is helping me out with this week's TST from Rachel and Mr. Daddy.  She's got an abundance of patience with her second graders.  There's a reason I teach at the college level.

OH, what do my wandering eyes see…

...But 7 out of my 9 second grade girls with gloopy streaks of fluorescent rainbows in their hair. Yes, that’s right: pink, orange, and yellow highlights that would blind the blindman. I opened the door for my class after recess and what a treat. (Now, I’m not talking a little marker fun. I’m talking hair paint as thick as mud and colored like the Easter bunny puked.) I’m quite a transparent person so the displeasure on my face was all that was needed.

“ My, oh my, do we have a little situation here girls. Hope you like what you look like because you get to explain that to mommy and daddy.” Instead of marching them to the bathroom, I marched them to music and wished that lovely vocalist good luck.

The most fun was kicking them out of the bathroom after music. They thought reading time would be a good time to bathe in the bathroom sinks. Nope. You ladies head back to class. You have some reading to do. As I counted heads, I realize one is missing…my most vibrant child.

I found her in the nurse’s office. She had convinced the nurse to glove up and start scrubbing. In I walk to unleash a new round of fun. I smiled politely and asked her to quit scrubbing for this child is going home looking like this. She is not going to miss her reading group because of a little sticky recess fun. That mess is going home.

School wasn’t out but 6 minutes when I received the first call. Let the fun begin!

7 comments:

Mr. Daddy said...

Girls!!!!! and you all try to say that boys are the tough ones to raise...LOL

just saying....

Beth Zimmerman said...

LOL! That's a hoot! I bet they don't do that again? What exactly did they put in their hair (that they had access to at recess)?

Mrs. Mom said...

Oh.My.Gosh.

Holy crap.

OK Nebalee, spill it!! What happened with the parental calls? And how was the next day???

GunDiva said...

Beth - one of the girls brought it from home.

MM - apparently mom of girl who brought the stuff was absolutely apalled and embarrassed.

Unknown said...

Oh that is hilarious!!!! Way to go making them go home like that!

Rachel said...

WHOO-HOO! Nebalee rocks! I would totally make them go home like that too... but this one needs a follow-up TST on how the phonecalls went down, hee hee! :)

Momma Fargo said...

Haha! You rock! Let them live in vibrant color...what a hoot!