Saturday, February 19, 2011

You Know What?

I'm awfully damn lucky.

I've been fairly cranky for the last couple of weeks.  Same old story - overworked and underpaid.  Or too much to do and not enough time to do it.  Sometimes it's easy to fall into the "woe is me" mentality and it takes a smack to the head something to break the cycle.

My eye-opener occurred the other day when I was in the shower.  I was mentally reviewing a series of emails I had with Lee Lofland, the brains behind Writers' Police Academy and started mentally writing the post for The GunDivas about WPA, when it dawned on me...I'm awfully damn lucky. 

I've got an amazing husband who doesn't mind that I'm planning on running down to North Carolina in September to attend WPA.  I didn't even ask if it was okay; I said, "hey, Honey, I'm going to WPA again this year."  Would it have been more polite to ask instead of tell him I was going?  Yes.  But he truly doesn't mind if I go.

I asked him last year if he minded that I had trips planned without him and he told me that he managed to live without me for thirty-some years, he wasn't going to shrivel up and die over a few days.  I know of several couples who have been married for a long time who can't stand for one or the other to be gone.  I don't know if it's co-dependency or lack of trust, but I've seen some pretty nasty fights and I'm glad that it's not a problem for us.

And then there's how he supports my job.  It sucks (I love it, but the hours suck).  I work fifty-plus hours a week most weeks, and I'm trying to add in work-outs at least three days a week.  Now that it's Health Fair season, I'm also teaching on Saturdays, so one of the few days that we have together is shot.  Today, he catered lunch for my students, making a fajita bar for their lunch so I wouldn't have to order pizza.  He'll do the same thing for my class next Saturday.

It's not like he's got a ton of free time himself; he's working two jobs and going to school full-time, yet is fully supportive of anything that I want to do.

I am awfully damn lucky.

I just hope that he feels the same way, and that I can support him in his interests and work as much as he supports me.

9 comments:

Allenspark Lodge said...

Cool.

Bill

Unknown said...

Sounds like you two are just right for each other. What a blessing to find a soul mate like that. e

Rachel said...

I am truly glad for you. There's nothing like having a supportive spouse - and you two sure seem like perfect partners.

(Speaking from someone who has actually met y'all, I know that you totally get it when I wax mushy about Mr. Daddy :)

Meg said...

Isn't it nice when you find someone who can support you? And vice versa of course!

I've not been to see you in ages...it's lookin' great around here!

Finding Pam said...

What a nice post? It is great when we appreciate our mates. You two seem perfectly simpatico together.

How wonderful of your hubby to cook for your class? Sounds like you are a lucky woman.

Brandi said...

Y'all sound like two peas in a pod. That is awesome! :)

Mrs. Mom said...

Dude. You have totally been talking w/ me too much lately. This was a downright mushy post for you!!!! LOLOL


And I loved it!!

xoxo

Gabi said...

You are a very lucky woman! He sounds like a wonderful hubby. ;)

Haven't stopped by in awhile. I love the new look!

ACountryCowgirl said...

Isn't it awesome when you just fit together:) As you seen from my post today it is so awesome when you have a husband who is also your teamate,your best friend, your encourager, your everything:) It is going to be fun to keep up with each other.