Monday, April 20, 2009

Loveland 9Health Fair

I have to take some blogging space to brag about my students. For those of you who don't know, I'm the Medical Department Chair at a Career College and a large part of my job is teaching (at least that's the part I love the most - I could do without some of the administrative headache) future Medical Assistants the skills they will need for work. Each year, my students volunteer for the 9Health Fairs in Loveland and Fort Collins. They work in a variety of positions: phlebotomy, centrifuge, and blood pressure. The Health Fairs are something that we spend an entire year talking up and preparing the students for - there is no better work experience than actually working and there is no better feeling than volunteering your time to a worthy cause.

This year, because of the weather, we only saw about 600 patients, but between students, staff, and family members, we donated over 155 hours of volunteer time. My students basically staffed the Fair, with almost 20 phlebotomists, 6 centrifugists, and 24 BP takers. It was amazing and they did a phenomenal job. The Loveland Fair is basically a warm up for the Fort Collins Fair that occurs on the 24th and 25th. We're expecting to put over 3,000 people through the Fort Collins Fair and I'm so proud of my students for participating in such a worthy event.


1 comment: