Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Finishing a Project

...I hope. Most of you who know me know that deep down in my soul I'm a writer. It's what I do, kind of like teaching. I never intended to grow up to teach, but it's what I do, who I am, I can't not teach. I feel the same way about writing. It's what I've always done, it's what I do. I gave up the dream of becoming a published writer years ago; the pragmatic side of me, the side that has to house, clothe, and feed my children took over.

Last year, I started a collection of short stories about my years as a wrangler. Again, that project got set aside after a strong start. I've started and not completed more stories than I can count. I've got notebooks and notebooks full of my writing that "someday" I'm going to do something with. Well, "someday" has arrived. I've started a new blog (http://gundiva-talesfromthetrail.blogspot.com) and will post a different short story each day until my story is told. I have to give a lot of credit to the movie Julie & Julia, which is not a movie about food, but about writing and finishing what you start.

Thank you, Julie Powell, for giving me the kick in the pants that I needed to finally see something through. Maybe once I finish Tales, I'll move on to finishing one of my many other writing projects.

No comments: