Thursday, December 8, 2011

Baking Weekend Is Almost Here!

I was trying to figure out how long we've been doing Baking Weekend, which started out as Baking Day.

It's been a long time; almost as long as Mom and Bill have owned the Lodge, so this must be our 13th year.  The first year was My Girls and Hall (my ex-boyfriend); the following year we added to our "menu" and the number of bakers grew.  Thirteen years is a long time for a tradition - we've been through break-ups, marriages, and children.  Some of the bakers come and go, but at the core of it has always been My Girls.
Me, Robs, Staci.  Missing Sue...not sure where she was hiding

During a relatively calm part of the day...
I've got a special project in mind for this year, one I've been mulling over ever since I saw it a couple of years ago.  I wasn't sure that I'd be able to pull it off (still not too terribly sure how it will turn out), but what the heck, I figure I'll give it a go and even if it doesn't work, it's still edible.

Other than my super secret special project (there will be posts), I don't have anything special planned this year for Baking Weekend.  I wanted to make more mozzarella, which was so much fun, but decided to try something new this year.  RCC has something up his sleeve too, that I'm sure will be wonderful.

Mostly, what I'm looking forward to this Baking Weekend, is getting to hang out with My Girls.  I love them and this is the only guaranteed time we get to spend together.  I haven't seen Sue since last Baking Weekend and I saw Robs and Staci in June when Robs had her baby.  How is it that a mere sixty miles can seem like half a world away?

4 comments:

Daddy Hawk said...

You know where to send the left overs...

Leiah said...

I wish the SGG could get together for a Baking Weekend. Yeah, you're right. It would probably turn into a drinking-way-too-much-let's-not-hurt-ourselves-with-small-appliances-and-sharp-objects kind of weekend. Can't wait to hear about the double secret surprise!

Rachel said...

I second Leiah!

And I can attest to last year's Baking Weekend being a success - we loved the beautiful cookies!

Okay - now I'm just getting hungry reading about mozzarella... must go snack :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, 60 miles can seem so very far away! I'm very good friends with Molly's former owner. She's 75 miles from us, (even from the old house), and we only get to see each other a couple times a year! Hmm... Maybe I should change that...