Thursday, November 7, 2013

Halfway There

Back in September, I got all excited about the opportunity to take an online class based on The Walking Dead and immediately signed up.

The first week was The Foundation of Survival.  I struggled a bit with this class, because I don't buy into Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.  I just don't.  I've seen too many people move ahead in life despite not having fulfilled one of the "basic" needs.  For example, I had a homeless student who spent time in and out of the hospital with brain infections.  She graduated, got healthy, and bought her first home.  According to the Hierarchy, she shouldn't have been able to focus on her education if she was unable to meet her basic and safety needs.


Week two was Public Health and Diseases.  Finally something I was comfortable with!  I loved this section, but I'm hard-pressed to put my finger on just why I loved it, other than Public Health has always fascinated me.






Evolving Society was week three and I was caught by surprise.  I didn't think I would like this, but after listening to the lectures and then watching the examples given, I started looking at the show in a whole new light.





Shoot me now!  I mean it.  This week was even more painful than the Maslow week.  Gah!  Social identities.  Bleh.  I made it through.  Barely.

But only because I'm looking forward to next week's class: Modeling A Zombie Outbreak.  Yes, there will be math involved, but it goes hand-in-hand with the Public Health issue of outbreaks, which makes me happy.



1 comment:

Leiah said...

Um, you know that movie - THE movie - you've never seen? Same goes for me and TWD. You still love me though, right?