Sunday, October 25, 2020

Virtual Races 2020

I've neglected this blog for so long, and I feel guilty for it. I probably don't have any readers left, and that's okay. Instead of writing for others, I'm using this as a journal of sorts.

Two years ago, I started Ease Into 5k (a Couch to 5k-type app). Copper became my running partner and we completed a couple of virtual races. Then the weather rolled in, and I hung it up.

In 2019, I thought it would be a good idea to do a cumulative race of 121 miles. I thought it would be something I could complete between February and my birthday in July. I was wrong. It actually took me 13 months to complete. I just couldn't force myself, even with using the Ease Into 5k app, to take up running on a regular basis.

At the beginning of the year, though, I decided to give it a try again. I was the most out-of-shape I've ever been. A flight of stairs defeated me, so I found more virtual races that looked interesting and signed up. I joined the community rec center and started walking on the treadmill. I didn't break out the training app, figuring I could do intervals all by myself and build up that way. Because I was so unhappy with my fitness level, I managed to make it to the rec center on a fairly regular basis and forced myself through run/walk intervals, either on the treadmill or on the 0.1 mile indoor track.

I lined up 5ks for the next few months and whined to Nebalee about how much I hated running. Poor thing had to hear it before and after every workout. She likes to do the BolderBoulder 10k for her birthday, and I knew if I was going to have a snowball's chance in hell of surviving, I needed to train. Except, when I "trained" in 2019 I started strong, then gave up. The 2019BB was awful and seriously gave me PTSD. To this day, whenever I'm faced with a 10k, she has to talk me down the day or two before.

In February, I committed to doing a 5k a month for the rest of the year. I had to do something about my fitness level. So, I found a few and signed up.

I've done 5ks in the past, so when I huffed and puffed my way through the Love Your Heart race and turned in a flat-out pathetic time that underscored exactly how unconditioned I was. It was disheartening. I kept at the walk/run intervals at the rec center between my first race and my second. In doing so, I was able to shave 15 minutes off my time, but I hated every damn moment of it. Not only did my mind hate it, but my body wasn't doing well. My feet and knees were giving me fits and after each of my 5ks I was lamed up for a day or two.

 Nebalee listened to me whine about it, then suggested that maybe I give up running and just walk. I thought she was out of her ever-loving mind. She asked me to try walking the April race to see what happened and she offered to join me.

I'll be damned if I didn't shave another four minutes off my 5k time at the next race, and we never went faster than a walk. I wasn't lamed up for days after the race, plus I'd cut time. I was sold!

Right after March virtual race, the world shut down, so I was forced to "train" outside. Luckily, the weather was good enough that I didn't freeze and once Nebalee proved to me that walking was better for me than running, I never had to talk myself into putting in the miles. My entire attitude about exercising improved.

Oscar's SCRAM! 5k


Since that April virtual race, Nebalee has been my constant race partner, always setting a good pace: one that is doable, but still challenging. I was beginning to think I might make it through the BolderBoulder, now re-named the VirtuALL 10k, since the world was still mostly locked down. Tens of thousands of people crowded into downtown Boulder wasn't a great idea, so they took the race virtual. 

We did one 5k in May, prior to the VirtuALL 10k, which was good. I was beginning to think I might be fit enough to do a 10k. And I was. We didn't turn in a great time, but I finished with minimal cussing and didn't even hate my sister for one moment, as I have in the past with the BolderBoulder. I was sore, but not lame, and decided that I would commit to not only one 5k a month for the rest of the year, but also a 10k.

Nebalee was doing a great job of encouraging me, and pushing me at every race, no matter the distance, and I had hopes to hit at sub-sixteen minute mile by the end of the year. Then, August happened and our state caught on fire. The air quality since has been hit or miss. Some days it's okay to be outside, some days it's not. I wasn't going to give up on my races, so bad air or not, on race day, we walked. We didn't want to push ourselves in bad air, so went from trying to cut time to just completing the miles. I'm trying not to be frustrated about being forced to slow down; seeing improvements in my time was the motivation I needed to keep going.

I've now completed six 10ks, though I get a bit of a panic attack a day or two before each, and Nebalee calms me down each time. I've decided that next year, I'm going to walk a half-marathon at least once. I've got races lined up for the rest of the year, and I no longer dread training for them.

I'll be posting race updates in the table below, just for easy reference for myself. 

 

2020 Date

Race name

Distance

Time

+/-

Note

February 29

Love Your Heart

5k

1:17:06

 

 

March 18

Super Grover Red Cape

5k

1:01:17

-00:15:47

Lockdown began mid-March

April 22

Oscar’s SCRAM!

5k

00:57:24

-00:19:42

Began walking instead of running

May 4

May the Fourth

5k

00:53:48

-00:23:18

 

May 25

VirtuALL

10k

1:47:03

 

Replaced BolderBoulder after lockdown

June 12

Zombie

5k

00:52:37

-00:24:39

 

June 24

Smokey the Bear

10k

1:43:07

-00:03:56

 

July 2

World UFO Day

5.1k

00:52:49

-00:24:17

 

July 17

Dragonfly

10k

1:42:37

-00:04:26

 

August 18

Ratification

10k

1:55:43

+00:08:40

Intentionally slow due to poor air quality

August 28

Wonder Woman

5k

00:55:41

-00:21:25

 

September 7

Riveter Run

10k

1:56:06

+00:09:03

Intentionally slow due to poor air quality

September 7

BoldiTUDE

10k

1:56:06

+00:09:03

Intentionally slow due to poor air quality

September 25

She Believed

5k

00:53:07

-00:23:59

 

October 10

Stranger Distances

6.7 mi

1:58:12

 

Odd distance

October 12

Jolly Jack-O-Lantern

5k

00:58:18

-00:18:48

 

October 31

Thriller

5k

00:58:56

-00:18:10

 

November 1

Day of the Dead

10k

01:45:35

-00:01:28

 

November 26

Thankful Turkey

5k

00:50:53

-00:26:13


December 5

ColderBolder

10k

 01:39:45

 -00:07:18

New PR

December 24

Smilin’ Santa

5k

 00:49:29   

 -00:27:37   

New PR

 


3 comments:

Momma Fargo said...

I kove it. Such commitment. Very inspired by your diligence. And fun sister days too!

Momma Fargo said...

I kove it. Such commitment. Very inspired by your diligence. And fun sister days too!

Daddy Hawk said...

Still alive and reading.