Saturday, November 28, 2009

Ready for Christmas Caravan for Kids!


Sadly, I'll be in Las Vegas for work next weekend, so I'll miss the annual trek to Denver to join all of the rest of the Colorado Four Wheelers for Christmas Caravan for Kids, which benefits the U. S. Marine Corps' Toys For Tots program.  Jay and I, after we got married, decided that each payday we'd spend ten dollars from each of our paychecks to buy toys for the toy drive.

Ten dollars doesn't seem like a whole lot of money, unless you don't have it.  At one point in time, I didn't have ten dollars a year to donate, much less ten dollars a paycheck.  Life has been a whole lot kinder to me and mine this year, so it's been thrilling to be able to do this.  After only five months of buying toys, Jay and I managed to buy toys for fifty-eight kids this year!  (Fifty-nine including Ashee's donation of the very large SpongeBob ball.)


FIFTY-EIGHT

It astounds me that the small sacrifice of just ten dollars twice a month was able to do this, and it excites me for next year, when we have an entire year to collect toys.  We're playing around with the idea of putting our ten dollars into a separate savings account all year and going on a big toy buying spree.  That would be a lot of fun, too.  We figure that if we do that, we'll have between $450 - $500 to buy toys with.  We haven't decided what we'll do, but no matter what, it will be a blast!

5 comments:

Allenspark Lodge said...

That is one heap-o-toys!
Bill

Claire Boyles said...

Wow! Great work. . .you've done so well for this fabulous cause!

GunDiva said...

As a student of mine just reminded me, there's always someone worse off than you are. I have to say, I love doing this. Last year, Jay and I just donated a couple of toys and it felt so good, we decided to keep doing it once we got married.

Anonymous said...

that is AWESOME! I used to do that every year since I was a little kid!

Anonymous said...

hey girl, i gave you another award, check out my blog for it!