Sunday, February 23, 2014

More Adventures in Baking

It's been a while since I've been "moved" by a recipe that I just had to try.  I stumbled across a recipe for Royal Blue Velvet Cake.  It screamed at me to try it.  I mean, look at how beautiful it is!

From Google images

And who doesn't love Red Velvet cake?  So why wouldn't blue, which is the exact same thing with blue food coloring (and a touch of violet) instead of red, be fabulous too?  I had to try it.

Then I ran into a little issue with no cake pans.  We have eight million cooking implements - some that I don't even know how to use - but no cake pans?  How does that happen?

So I decided to make cupcakes instead.  I'm a problem solver, if nothing else.

They're more Cookie Monster colored than Royal Blue, but they're okay.


They even taste okay, but that's about it.  Just okay.

I was going to attempt the amazing marshmallow creme frosting, but since I didn't get started baking until time for The Walking Dead, guess what's not happening.  I'll buy a jar of pre-made frosting on my way into work tomorrow and my co-workers can frost their own damn cupcakes.

Well, they were worth a try, but I don't think I'll be attempting them again.  I'll stick with my rainbow cupcakes - they're prettier and taste better.

2 comments:

Allenspark Lodge said...

I was just going to mention your rainbow cupcakes and how pretty they were; don't forget how badly blue food coloring looks on your mouth and teeth when you are done eating. Just saying. Wish I was there to see your coworkers afterwards!
Mom

Candance said...

I can't eat red velvet cake, so I was momentarily excited about this recipe. I guess I'll just keep crushing up Benadryl in my cream cheese frosting when I just can't resist the red velvet stuff.